(First name: Wai)
Born in Hong Kong, Lau utilizes photography, new media, object, and installation to investigate how history, fiction, personal memory and virtuality collide in the process of identities formation. Her research and material sources range from personal and historical archives to cinematic imagery, popular culture and digital media.
Her works are collected by M+ Museum (Hong Kong); The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (United States); and Alexander Tutsek – Stiftung Foundation (Germany), amongst others. She has exhibited in Europe, Asia, and the United States, including Kunstmuseum Brandts, Denmark (2016) ; Power Station of Art, Shanghai (2018) ; Para Site Art Space, Hong Kong (2015, 2018); Tai Kwun Contemporary, Hong Kong (2019, 2021); Kuandu Biennale, Taiwan (2018); Echigo-Tsumari Art Triennale, Japan (2015) ; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, United States (2019) ; and Yokohama Triennale, Japan (2020).
Lau currently lives and works in New York City.
– – – – – – – – / / / / – – –, Mine Project, Hong Kong
The Memories of Tomorrow, Lumenvisum, Hong Kong
(Dual-solo) Photo Booth, Para Site (Institution), Art Basel Hong Kong
Triennale / Biennale:
Afterglow, Yokohama Triennale, Japan
Seven Questions for Asia, Kuandu Biennale, Kuandu Museum of Fine Arts, Taiwan
Asia Photography and Image Center, Echigo-Tsumari Art Triennale, Niigata, Japan
Group Exhibitions (Selected):
Lunarian, Denny Dimin Hong Kong
Narratives, Stories, Algorithms: Rethinking Independence in Digital Times, 630 Flushing Ave, 5th Floor, Brooklyn, New York, U.S.A
(Digital Commissioned Project) 2³ or Not 2³: East Kowloon is on Minecraft, New Vision Arts Festival 2021, Hong Kong
Standing Out, the Outstandings, Latitude Gallery, New York, U.S.A
The Unsung, Tai Kwun Contemporary, Hong Kong
(Screening) Theme III: Cyberspace + Memetics, Shanghai Himalayas Museum, Shanghai, China
Women Gaze, La Galerie Paris 1839, Hong Kong
(Online) Soft Network, Altman Siegel, San Francisco, U.S.A
Nanjing Art Fair International x G Museum: Special Program, Nanjing International Expo Center, Nanjing, China
Hong Kong Spotlight by Art Basel, Hong Kong
Minorly Magical, K&P Gallery, New York, U.S.A.
Museum of Half Truths, 1a space, Hong Kong
Diagonal, Magician Space, Beijing, China
Zoom-in screening series, Lenfest Center for the Arts, , Columbia University, New York, U.S.A.
Denny Dimin Gallery, Untitled Art Fair, San Francisco, U.S.A.
A History of Photography: Selections from the Museum’s Collection, The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, U.S.A.
ISCP Benefit Auction Exhibition, Nancy Hoffman Gallery, New York, U.S.A.
Very Natural Actions, Tai Kwun Contemporary, Hong Kong
INSIGHTS Exhibition, PHOTOFAIRS | Shanghai 2019, Shanghai Exhibition Centre, Shanghai, China
FotoFest/ INTERSECT, Silver Street Studios, Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
On the Map, Denny Dimin Hong Kong
Aesthetically Functional Only, 1675 Broadway, New York, U.S.A.
Courses of Action, Goethe-Institut, Hong Kong
MFA first year exhibition,The Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Art Gallery, Lenfest Center for the Arts, Columbia University, New York, U.S.A.
Time/Space: Brief as Photo- Dialogue between Joseph Fung and his Contemporaries,
Hong Kong Arts Centre, Hong Kong
Lianzhou International Photo Festival, Lianzhou, Guangdong, China
Jimei x Arles International Photo Festival, Three Shadows Xiamen Photography Art Centre, Xiamen, China
Emerging Curators Project 2018, A Tree Fell in the Forest, and No One's There,
Power Station of Art (PSA), Shanghai, China
Crush, Para Site, Hong Kong
Follow Me, OCT Contemporary Art Terminal (OCAT Shenzhen), Shenzhen, China
Relativity Hypothesis, J: Gallery, Shanghai, China
Follow Me- New Narratives in Contemporary Photography, China-Switzerland, OCAT Shanghai, Shanghai, China
->, Blindspot Gallery, Hong Kong
Sojourn with Stranger, Mur Nomade, Hong Kong
Les Photaumnales–Love Hong Kong: La photographie hongkongaise (1950-2015), Le Quadrilatère, Beauvais, France
Denmark FOTOBIENNALEN 2016 -Cities and Memory, Brandts Museum of Art and Visual Culture, Odense, Denmark
Hong Kong International Photo Festival - Voices: Cross Vision on French and Hong Kong Photography, Comix Home Base, Hong Kong
Singapore International Photo Festival- A Room with a View, Earl Lu Gallery, Institute of Contemporary Arts, Singapore
Argentina International Photo Festival (Encuentros Abiertos- Festival de la Luz)- Yuen Yeung, Museo de Aries Plasticas Eduardo Sivori, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Adrift, OCAT Shenzhen, Shenzhen, China
A Room With A View: Her Hong Kong-Stories Through the Lens of Six Female Artists, Koo Ming Kown Exhibition Gallery, CVA Building, HKBU, Hong Kong
Imagine There's No Country, Above Us Only Our Cities, Para Site, Hong Kong
The 6th Dali International Photography Festival, Dali, China
The 7th TSPA Three Shadows Photography Award Exhibition ,
Three Shadows Photography Art Centre, Beijing, China
100 Self-Portraits of Hongkongese, S201, Staunton, PMQ, Hong Kong
Xitek 2014 New Foto Award Exhibition, Beijing World Art Museum, Beijing, China
Staging Encounters: 10 Years of Contemporary Photography in China, Lianzhou International Photo Festival, Guangdong, China
MFA Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York, Class of 2020
BA (Hons) Fine Art (Studio Practice and Contemporary Critical Studies),
Goldsmiths, University of London, Class of 2007
The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, U.S.A.
Alexander Tutsek-Stiftung Foundation, Germany
M+ Museum, Hong Kong
Three Shadows Xiamen Photography Art Centre, Xiamen, China
The Warden’s Collection, Goldsmiths, University of London, U.K.
Awards / Fellowships / Residencies:
NARS International Residency, New York, U.S.A.
Institute for Electronic Arts (IEA) Experimental Projects Residency, Alfred University, New York, U.S.A.
Visual Arts Scholarship, Columbia University, New York, U.S.A
Visual Arts Fellowship, Columbia University, New York, U.S.A
Nominee, Jimei X Arles Discovery Award, Three Shadows Photography Art Centre, Xiamen, China
Finalist, The 7th TSPA Three Shadows Photography Award, Beijing, China
Finalist, Xitek 2014 New Photo Award, Beijing, China
First Prize, Small Pictures Exhibition, Salisbury Arts Centre, U.K.
The Warden’s Art Prize, Goldsmiths, University of London, U.K.
An Archeology of the White Gaze, Ying Xiang Journal, France
Golden Records GR-02092017, Fotogalleriet, Oslo, Norway
The Unappropriated Recipes, Para Site, Hong Kong
Detachment: The 2015 Three Shadows Photography Award, Three Shadows Photography Art Centre, Beijing, China
Staging Encounters- 10 Years of Contemporary Photography in China: 2014 Lianzhoufoto, Lianzhou International Photo Festival, China
Farewell to Experience: 2013 Lianzhoufoto, Lianzhou International Photo Festival, China
About Us, About Life & About the City, Asia One Publishing Hong Kong
- Artforum CN, Interviews, “Deepfake, Skins and memories”, Qu Chang, online, July 2021 (in chinese)
- The Standard (Hong Kong), Art & Culture, Cara Chen, Aug 2021
- Post Magazine, South China Morning Post, “Re:orient: online art exhibition curated by Nicole Ching”, Enid Tsui, Oct 2020
- Columbia School of the Art, "Uncovering the Heritage Silhouette: Lau Wai '20", Brittany Nguyen, online, Oct 2020
- Art+Education, “Exhibitions: Columbia University School of the Arts”, online, Sep 2020
- Artforum International, “MFA Spotlight: Columbia University School of the Arts”, online, Aug 2020
- Mingpao Daily Hong Kong, 14 Aug 2020 (in chinese)
- Hong Kong Economic Time, 17 Aug 2020 (in chinese)
- Sing Tao Daily Hong Kong, 20 Aug 2020 (in chinese)
- City Magazine Hong Kong, “Up and Coming”, Samwai Lam, Issue 521, Feb 2020 (in chinese)
- M+ Stories, “How Blade Runner cyberpunk-ed Hong Kong”, Hugh Davies, online, August 2019
- Discovery (inflight magazine for Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon), “Meet the leaders of Hong Kong’s art scene”, Christopher DeWolf, March 2019
- Artforum CN, “CRUSH at Para Site" exhibition review, Wu Mo, online, October 2018 (in chinese)
- Hong Kong Tatler, “10 Hong Kong Art Exhibitions To See in October”, Oliver Giles, online, October 2018
- South China Morning Post, “Hong Kong artist pokes fun at Hollywood’s portrayal of ‘the Orient”, Kylie Knott, July 2018
- Photography is Art Magazine, Hong Kong, Issue 06, 2018 (in chinese)
- Apple Daily Hong Kong, July 2018 (in chinese)
- ArtWorld Magazine, China, “Broken Memories and Potential Interventions”, Wang Huan, Issue 320, July 2017 (in chinese)
- Chinese Photography Magazine, China, Issue July 2017 (in chinese)
- Invisible Photographer Asia (IPA), Singapore, online, April 2017
- HK01, Art Basel Hong Kong review, online, March 2017 (in chinese)
- Fisheye Magazine, France, Issue 20, Sep-Oct 2016 (in french)
- Voice of Photography Magazine (VOP), Taiwan, Issue 17, Dec 2015- Jan 2016 (in chinese)
- Art Plus, Hong Kong, Issue Dec 2015 (in chinese)
- The Eye of Photography, France, online, 2014 (in french)
Artist's Talks/ Lectures/ Panel discussions:
2020 Family Albums: the Private Memories and Social History, WMA Open Talk, Wyng Foundation, Hong Kong
2020 Artist Panel Discussion (Webinar), Museum of Half Truths Exhibition, 1a Space, Hong Kong
2020 PS Paid Studio Visit (Online), Para Site, Hong Kong
2020 Guest Speaker, (RMIT) Bachelor of Arts Fine Art program (major in Photography), Hong Kong Art School, Hong Kong
2020 Guest speaker (Webinar), ICP-Bard Program, New York
2020 Panelist, Panel discussion (Webinar): Hong Kong: Tales of the City, Denny Dimin Gallery, New York
2019 Guest Speaker, (RMIT) Bachelor of Arts Fine Art program (major in Photography), Hong Kong Art School, Hong Kong
2018 Panelist, Panel discussion: Jimei x Arles International Photo Festival, Three Shadows Xiamen Photography Art Centre, Xiamen, China
2018 Artist’s talk: The Memories of Tomorrow, Lumenvisum, Hong Kong
2018 Artist’s talk: The Memories of Tomorrow, OCAT Shenzhen, China
2016 Panelist, Panel discussion: Les Photaumnales– La photographie hongkongaise (1950-2015), Le Quadrilatère, Beauvais, France
2015 Artist’s talk: A Room with A View, Koo Ming Kown Exhibition Gallery, CVA Building, HKBU, Hong Kong
2015 Artist’s talk: Imagine There's No Country, Above Us Only Our Cities exhibition, Para Site, Hong Kong